Wednesday, April 27, 2011

REVIEWs: Dry Shampoos

I love using dry shampoos in between washings, that makes it ever other day for me. I first discovered dry shampoo at Sephora, when I read "dry shampoo" on a can of Rene Furterer Naturia. It sounded perfect for my non-wash days and it smelled good. From there I started trying out more shampoos as it became more popular. I've put together two lists, my best and worse. Hope this helps you.

BEST - Dry Shampoos (best are listed at top)

1. Blow - Faux Dry Dry Shampoo
By far, the best I've tried out of the many. It does not have a scent and doesn't leave my hair sticky. Takes out all the oil at my roots without being sticky or white powdery looking on my dark brown hair. I also like being able to shake the powder on my roots instead of spraying. It's less effort than pressing down on a spray nozzle with my index finger. Also adds nice fluffy volume to my hair. Unlike the Oscar Blandi non-aerosol, you need to cut open the tip of the nozzle of this product before you can start using it. I find this to be a good thing, as you can control how much comes out. I made sure to snip as little as possible and snipped more off when there isn't enough product coming out. Found the control to be just right when I shook this product into my roots instead of squeezing the bottle. It's pricey at $20, but lasts longer than aerosol dry shampoos.
Tip: If you are paranoid like me, you want your hair smelling nice also. After using this faux dry shampoo, spray some perfume into a brush, then brush through hair.

Rating:  9/10

2. Rene Furterer - Naturia Dry Shampoo
Definitely takes the grease out and adds a volume to my thin hair. I like the smell. It is a spray with a powdery product that comes out dark orange. It lasts pretty well but my hair gets sticky and stringy at the end of the day.

Rating:  7/10

3. Tresemme Fresh Start Dry Shampoo
After my first couple of uses, I found that it didn't aborb the grease as well as the others. It did leave a nice shine to my hair and does have a very nice fresh scent. Recently I find myself using this along with "blow faux dry shampoo". Every other morning, I spray this in my hair, sprinkle some blow faux dry shampoo, leave it on for several minutes while brushing my teeth. Then brush out. Hair done, teeth done!

Rating: 6/10


4. Liquid Keratin - Keratin Infused Volumizing & Revitalizing Dry Shampoo
I cannot handle the scent of this! In my opinion it smells like old lady :( To be fair, the product works well and feels lighter than the Rene Furterer. It's also less sticky and and gave my hair some bounce.

Rating:  5/10

5. Oscar Blandi Pronto Dry Shampoo Aerosol Spray
Has a unique citrus scent, same as it's non spray version. Works okay. Can smell dusty. Pricey for what it can do.

Rating:  6/10

6. Oscar Blandi Pronto Dry Shampoo (non aerosol version)
Like it's aerosol version, it has a nice citrus scent. I find this a little harder to control, I sometimes squeeze out too much of this product, leaving big clumps of powder. Unfortunately, also smells dusty.

Rating:  5/10

8. Frederic Fekkai - Au Naturel Dry Shampoo
Works okay for me, can also smell dusty.

Rating: 5/10

9. Salon Grafix Invisible Dry Spray Shampoo
Smells strong, in a bad, artificial, almost medicinal way. Works okay.

Rating:  4/10


WORST - Dry Shampoo
TIGI Bed Head Rockaholic Dirty Secret Dry Shampoo
This is the worse dry shampoo product on the market right now - the aerosol can leaks. I got only 3 uses out of it. I used it one day, waited a week, and noticed that the can felt significantly lighter. One return later, I went online and found that other consumers are experiencing the same. I don't know if TIGI bothered fixing it. I'd rather not go through the trouble of trying a "possibly good batch". It's too bad, I really wanted to like it. When I first tried it I thought it was great. It has the best scent out of all of the dry shampoos I've used, and I it did an okay job on soaking the oils at my roots.

Rating:  0/10

Batiste Dry Shampoo
Seems pretty popular based on the reviews and the amount of reviews I've reviewed. However, I didn't like the smell, I've checked out the Original, Blush, and Tropical scent at the local beauty store. Unfortunately, I thought all three smelled awful.

Rating:  1/10

Tresemme Fresh Start Waterless Foam Shampoo
I picked this bottle because the label stated "for DRY/CURLY to NORMAL hair". The description sounded wonderful, containing aloe vera to add moisture to your hair and citrus extracts, leaving hair smelling refreshed. I thought to myself, "Hey I've got dry ends on my straight hair, maybe this will add some shine AND clean it". I gave it a scent check by squeezing some of the foam into the cap - smell check passed! I like fresh citrus scents. Once it was time to use, I applied this product to my hair as directed, but it left my hair looking wet and greasy :( I tried to blot and rub the product out of my hair with a towel but it didn't take out the wet and greasy look. The aerosol version "for OILY/STRAIGHT to NORMAL hair", was better suited for me.

Rating:  3/10


Klorane Gentle Dry Shampoo with Oat Milk Non-Aerosol Spray
Not the worst, I want to try, it sounds wonderful but I'm allergic to oats. :(

Rating:  n/a (didn't get to try)




































Got 2b Fat-tastic Fresh & Full Dry Shampoo
I wish I checked out the scent at a store before buying it online.  One spray test into the cap was enough.  If there was such a thing as opposite of fresh baby powder, this was it.  I am not trying to insult seniors here but this smelled very similar to the inside of a nursing home.  It's too bad, based on the reviews, it did a good job.
Rating:  1/10

No comments:

Post a Comment