Wednesday, April 27, 2011

R.I.P Maybelline Sky High Curves Waterproof Mascara



This used to be my favorite mascara. It was by far the best bang for your buck, about $8.

For what seemed like the longest time, I was looking for a mascara that didn't smudge on my hooded mono-lid eyes, and a mascara that would hold a curl for more than an hour. When I found this mascara I was so happy, because this was really it!

It smudged just a little, didn't give me panda eyes, lasted through tears, and the curl stayed for 6+ hours! To make sure this worked for me, I heated my eyelash curler, curled my lashes, then applied this mascara with a zig zag motion to avoid clumping.

Some people find this mascara difficult to remove, but I didn't mind. I just used a decent waterproof eye makeup remover (I think I used cold cream). It may take a couple extra swipes but it was worth being able to see my lashes over my mono-lids.

Sadly this has been discontinued :( It took me several searches at drugstores to realize this.

A reviewer on makeupalley.com commented that Maybelline's new XXL Curve is the replacement - I have not seen particularly good reviews on it, haven't even seen anyone mention the hold power of the curl.



The good news is, since then I've found a good replacement, Shiseido Majolica Majorca Lash Enamel Mascara. It's formula is more lightweight, didn't smudge, and definitely held the curl in my lashes. I also noticed that it makes my lashes shinier, but personally don't really care, who can really tell except for you? Another plus is the brush, it's shaped almost like a wide-tooth comb. With flat and wide teeth, it is just perfect for applying onto sparse lashes, and making sure it keeps your lashes separate without clumping. The brush also makes it easy to apply to my hard to reach lashes, on the outer corner without accidentally hitting my hooded monolid :P The only downside, its expensive, especially when you purchase in the states, about $18.

If you know a good replacement for Sky High Curves, let me know!


Note: I no longer fear any waterproof eye makeup as I found a pretty aweseome waterproof eye makeup remover. MAKEUP FOREVER SENS'EYES Waterproof Sensitive Eye Cleanser. Will post reviews on eyemakup removers later.

No comments:

Post a Comment