Monday, April 25, 2011

Top 7 Lip Balms for sensitive lips

I'm addicted to lip balms! I've got it stashed everywhere, my desk, my car, purse, my bathroom, top drawer of my kitchen, next to my pillow. Insane? Yes but I blame it on the X (eczema). For those of you who don't know what eczema is, no it is NOT contagious. Eczema is genetic and no there is no cure! :( A post on the X later. ;) Back to the main topic...

I have gone through sooo many lip balms that I feel I must share my experience! Below are lists of my tops favorites for both Sensitive and Non-Sensitive lip days. Also included my "irritated my lips" list. :)

Sensitive Lip Days (starting from most sensitive to least)

1. Aquaphor - .35 ounce tube
Okay so this isn't a lip balm but this is my go to lip treatment for my absolutely most sensitive lip days. I may have to re-apply often but to me it is like drinking purified water at a far away campsite. Was recommended by my Dermatologist for my eczema. It helps to heal dry, cracked, or irritated skin.


2. Dr. Bronner's & Sun Dog's Magic Organic Lip Balm - Naked
Found this at the local natural grocers. Turned out to be the best lip balm I've used to date! It doesn't irritate my lips at all and it stays on for long lengths of time; I attribute this to the harder consistency of the balm. At $3 or more per stick, tt may be a bit pricey but this is the balm I have to apply least often.


3. ChapStick 100% Naturals Lip Butter
I have purchased the most of this as it's most easy to find in the states. Doesn't bother my lips and stays on my lips more than the average balm. It's packaging has changed a bit since it first came out and even now it seems to have 3 different types for what seems to be the same product.

4. Neutrogena Naturals Lip Balm
Found this just recently at a Nordstrom's Rack, yes strange place to purchase lip balm, but I am glad to find it. The texture is fairly smooth. The amount of balm that comes off per swipe is a more than average quantity. I have a feeling this will get used up quick.

5. Daiso Hyaluronic Acid Lip Care
Yikes! Hyaluronic Acid sounds scary but its actually used quite often in anti-aging skincare kin. This also does not contain perfume, and applies smoothly, and can melt easily if you leave it in your car.

For Non-Sensitive days
6. EOS Lip Balm Smooth Sphere - Summer Fruit
Bought this as part of a 3 pack at Walgreens. Pricey but there is a lot of product in each sphere. I like to keep this one in my car. It took me many months just to use half of it! Oddly enough, this flavor was easiest on my lips compared to the Sweet Mint and the Honeysuckle Honeydew, which irritated my lips. :T

7. Daiso "Lip Stick" - Peach
My absolute favorite! Despite the label, its really a lip balm. I bought this at the Daiso in Harajuku Japan, I wish I bought about 5 more XD. This is one of the few flavored lip balms that doesn't bother my lips. The smell is sooo yummy!

Irritated My Lips

1. Bonne Belle - I think the perfumes and flavors in this really irritates my skin.

2. SPF Lipbalms - irritates and makes my lips itchy. If you take a look at the lip balms section of a store, you will see SPF is in a majority of lip balms. Hence my constant hunt for non-spf ones.


3. Daiso Beeswax lip balm - heavily perfumed and irritated my lips. :(



4. Mint or Mentholatum Lip Balms - this includes Carmex and the mint Chapstick. It may give me relief to my chapped lips but after a while, my lips are even more dry and sometimes peeling!


5. Burts Bees - irritated my lips and I didn't like the smell.


6. Softlips - felt nice, great and smooth. Great packaging but alas, it did not keep my lips moisturized very long at all. I had to continuously apply and each time I apply I felt that I had to swipe back and forth numerous times with the thin tube of product.


7. Nivea Lip Care a Kiss of Flavor, Cherry Tinted Lip Care - I liked this so much when I first purchased this. It felt great, tasted great, and it gave my colorless lips some color! Unfortunately, after some use, I started to notice that my throat gets parched everytime I use this. Wierd! I don't eat or lick my chapstick anymore than I do my Daiso Peach one, so why would this make me feel thirsty? Sad, I really wanted to like it. :(

2 comments:

  1. THANK YOU! i thought i was the only one in the world who avoided SPF lip balms, and it upsets me every time one i'd used forever suddenly has SPF in it (that's right, i'm talking about YOU, softlips).

    i've been seeing the neutrogena naturals everywhere; i think i'll try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thankyou SO MUCH for this, as a frustrated 22 year old woman with excema and very sensitive lips, i've been searching for help as my lips are inflamed and itchy after using an spf lip balm! i really appreciate this post, very helpful!! xxx

    ReplyDelete