Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Extra Sensitive Skin MODE + Foundation Reviews!

The condition of my skin, specifically eczema on my face, has been at it's worse.  Things haven't been this bad since 2003.  Every couple days it will go through the cycle of itchy-peely-sensitive-red, to just peely, then smooth from all the healing.  Afterwards it will start all over again.

I've already seen a dermatologist and feel I have exhausted my options there.  I can no longer continue to take the prescription allergy meds, which makes me groggy throughout the day.  I also cannot rely on steroid creams, which has already thinned out my skin as a child.

I took the next step and started seeing an allergist.  Turns out I'm allergic to different tree and grass pollen that's been in flying in the San Francisco Bay Area air.  I'll be taking de-sensitizing allergy shots starting next week.  Even though the process may take up to 6 months to take effect, I am pretty excited to get my skin allergies under control!

With my skin sensitivy to it's maximum, I feel compelled to share...

My Sensitive Skincare Routine

1.  Wash face with Neutrogena Extra Gentle Skin Cleanser.
I pump once or twice of the product into my hand, then massage my face.  Rinse off with cool water.  Dab face with a clean towel.

2.  Spray a generous amount of Evian Facial Spray.
Pat well into skin, this pushes more moisture into your skin.  I must say, this product is the most sensitive skin freindly ever.  While it may not be the most moisturizing, I can usually rely on it to NOT sting my face! :)  Btw, if it does sting my face, it means eczema has caused my skin to be raw.
3.  Apply Clinique's Comfort on Call.
Wait for the evian to be absorbed before applying.  Gotta love Clinique for their truly sensitive freindly products.  This particular cream is even meant for people with eczema, yay!



I know this is really bad but, I've also been using makeup...

I could no longer face my co-workers with my sickly peeling skin!   I've been experimenting with what I think is the most sensitive freindly makeup products I have.  Here's what worked:

1)  Combining Elisha Coy Always Nuddy BB 24 (Soothing & Moisturizing Anti-Irritant Blemish Balm) and Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturizer (Regular, *not* the oil free one, in Sand). 
2)  Bobbi Brown Extra Repair Foundation


Foundation Reviews


Elisha Coy Always Nuddy BB 24 (Soothing & Moisturizing Anti-Irritant Blemish Balm) 
This has a very strong gray cast, and appeared too pale for my NC35 skin.   However, it was much less irritating to my skin than Dr. Jart Premium Gold Label BB cream.  Thankfully I managed to make good of it still, mixing with tinted moisturizer.
Rating:  7/10


Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturizer 
I bought this as part of the Laura Mercier Flawless face kit in Sand at Sephora.  Note that there is also an oil-free version.  I've got pretty dry skin so I guess I bought the oil version? hehe
I must give this product a lot of credit.  It feels cooling and soothing when applied to my face, it does provide moisture, doesn't irritate my sensitive skin, and most impressive of all, it covers about 80% of the redness on my face and evens my skintone.  Previous tinted moistuizers that I've used before have given light coverage at best, but with this product I can really say it provides medium dewy coverage.   Mixing this with my bb creams have worked well as Sand is slightly too dark for my skin.  I am currently using a 1 to 1 ratio of bb cream to Laura Mercier tinted moisturizer.  The coloring is working okay so far though it's still a little too light.  I plan to try a 1 to 2 ratio next for a darker and more moisturizing mix.
Rating:  9/10


Bobbi Brown Extra Repair Foundation
From the Bobbi Brown website, "Extra Repair Foundation SPF 25 gives skin perfect coverage, moisture & broad-spectrum sun protection. Infused with Shea Butter and Evening Primrose Oil, this does-it-all formula combines all the skin-nourishing benefits of Bobbi’s Extra Skincare with the skin tone-correct color and buildable coverage of her foundations. Over time, it also helps replenish & strengthen skin. Ideal for dry and very dry skin types.  Featured in 'Vogue' Magazine (March 2011) & 'Allure' Magazine (April 2011)."  This sounded just perfect for me, so I grabbed me a sample.
My take:  The BEST color match I have found to date!  My face is naturally lighter than the rest of my body.  The problem with this is, when I apply foundation to match my face, the end result is a stark difference between my face and my neck!  With Mac, I am a NC35, pretty close.  With Bobbi Brown, I am a 4.5 (Warm Natural), it evened out my skin tone without the harsh color difference between my face and neck.   My face and neck finally matches color!   This is a thick cream, it blended well, and surprisingly smells like ginger.  Best of all, it did not irritate my skin and gave medium coverage. The downside, the moisture of this foundation lasted probably about half a day, not enough to get through a complete day work.  :(
Rating: 8/10


MAC Mineralize Satinfinish SPF 15 Foundation
While trying to find my NC color, the Mac saleswoman convinced me to try their mineral foundation.  The result?  My skin tone was evened out, and it was luminous.  However as I looked in the mirror, turning my face side to side, luminous translated to an odd layer of pale over my real skin.  I tried again later at home, it stung my sensitive mode face.  :( Luckily it was only a sample I tried.
Rating:  4/10

No comments:

Post a Comment