Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Tips to get noticeable lashes for MonoLids

Read if you have short, thin, stick-straight lashes, with a mono-lid like me (helps double-lidders too)!

I've tried what seemed like hundreds of mascaras, methods, tricks, and products to get my lashes noticeable. Here are my tips and things to avoid.

TIP #1 -  Clean your eyelid before applying mascara
Monolids tend to be oilier or "sweaty" near the lashes due from the heavy lid.  This applies even to me with my dry skin! Cleaning takes out the grease on your lashes, your lids, and allows your mascara to adhere.  Cleaning can be as simple as using toner on a cotton pad.


TIP #2 - Go for CURL in your mascara
Why have your lashes appear long and full if its pointing straight down?  Nobody will notice unless they are up and above your lids!  A good curl will make your eyes appear brighter and wide-eyed.  I do realize factors of eyelash length and monolid droop can make this difficult, for this I recommend using 3 coats of Imju Fiberwig Mascara (curl may not last all day though :T).




TIP #3 - Get a waterproof mascara that can hold the curl
My personal faves are Maybelline's Sky High Curves and from Shiseido's Majolica Majorca Japanese line, Lash Enamel Mascara.  They hold the curl AND they don't smudge; I hate panda eyes, where my mascara smudges way too much under my eyes.  Unfortunately, not all waterproof mascaras can hold a curl and most American brands cannot hold a curl, from drugstore brands to designer brands.  If you know of a good curling, non smudge mascara, do let me know! :)



TIP #4 - Use a decent eyelash curler
I know people are raving over the Shu Uemura's curler, and I'll agree it does work better than the average curler. However, I was actually using my mom's hand me down Maybelline for the longest time and it worked for me.  I made sure to sanitize then bought some new rubber pads for it.


TIP #5 - Heat your eyelash curler
Please do this with care. You can heat your curler with a lighter, blow dryer (see video above), or even a curling iron. I like to heat my curler (keeping the curler open) using a lighter about 6" underneath, with a side to side motion, for a couple seconds. Do not heat the part with the rubber padding. Test the heated curler on the back of your hand before trying on your eyelid.


TIP #6 - (Alternative to TIP #3) Purchase a heated eyelash curler
The best one I've tried is Panasonic's heated eyelash curler (EH2351AC). This curler is soooo good at getting my eyelashes curled I've recommended this to all of my close friends and my sister. Every girl I've demonstrated this to is amazed. Sometimes, I don't even bother with the traditional eyelash curler :X . With the proper use, this product allows you to truly curl your lashes instead of bending them. This heated eyelash curler allows you to curl even the the hard to reach areas.  For me, that's the outer corner. What makes this work well compared to other heated curlers on the market, is the lack of space between the "teeth".


With other heated curls, such as the ones pictured above, there is a lot of space between the teeth, meaning more exposure to coils, something I would absolutely avoid in a heated curler.  I purchased a Japonesque one a while ago, it stopped working very quickly, even with fresh batteries :T

How to use a heated eyelash curler:  Remember, do not comb through.  Place and HOLD for several seconds, move to a new place, repeat.    See ekimura's video, can't explain it much better.  :)


TIP #7 - Curl as close to your lash line as possible
Using a metal curler, attempt very slowly to avoid clamping on your lids.


TIP #8  - Curl at least three places on your lash
Using a metal curler, start from closest to lashline, clamp, middle of lash, clamp, outer 2/3 of lash, clamp.  This will lessen the appearance of "bent" lashes. 


TIP #9 - Apply mascara in a zig zag motion
This gets your lashes more separated and decreases the chance of clumps. If you see clumps, keep applying and zig zagging!  Of course, be sure that you are not using super old mascara, you can usually tell when its dry before even applying.

TIP #8 - Use a plastic piece to protect your lids while applying mascara
My mom bought me an eyelash curler with a spring in it. It also included a plastic piece that was curved and used for covering your eyelids while you are applying mascara. I've found that this allows me to put more product on my lashes without having to do the Q-Tip cleanup.

No comments:

Post a Comment